Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Azaleas, Dogwoods and Lilacs, Oh My!

A (huge, momentous, life-changing) chapter is coming to a close here at Chez SLNC, and somehow in light of that, I decided to start up a new blog project. They're completely unrelated, but I like symmetry and confluence and whatnot, and in its own weird way, this makes sense to me. (And its my blog, so I get to draw what ever connections I want!)

So, allow me to present Azaleas, Dogwoods and Lilacs, Oh My! a series of posts about all of the lovely, unusual and tasty plants in my little corner of the world. I'll post a picture of a new plant everyday, along with some basic info and hopefully some little know facts, if I can find them. Not sure how long this will go on, but there are at least 2 weeks worth of blog-able plants in my yard alone, so we'll have a good run I think.

I have to credit two people for helping to get me thinking about local flora: First, my dear friend Colleen who walked all around my yard with me today, telling me the names of everything and who then proceeded to sit down and weed my soon-to-be strawberry beds for me. And then a woman in the L&S Dean's office at the UW, who's name I don't know, but who, upon hearing I was in south-western VA immediately asked me if the azaleas and dogwoods were blooming yet.

Stay tuned, we'll start with the Virginia State Tree tomorrow!

No comments: