Friday, November 28, 2008

LYS, Varanasi Style

I promised I would never have a knitting blog, but this is too good to pass up.
Knitting is big business here in Varanasi. Nearly every Indian woman I've met knows how to knit, and on the whole they seem to crank out a LOT of sweaters and hats. And a good thing too - now that it only gets up in to the upper 70s or lower 80s during the day you surely need a sweater! In most parts of town you can see yarn shops, pack nearly floor to ceiling with yarn in eye-popping colors. And for some strange reason you never just see one of any sort of store here - there are usually 3 or 4 of the exact same sort right next to each other.


Only downside is that all of the yarn is synthetic and not very good quality. Happily, Thy and Kris gave me 2 hanks of beautiful wonderful luxurious merino as a going away present so I've been blissfully knitting a hat and mittens for the past 2 weeks. (Once I'm done I may rip them back and reknit the yarn into something else... certainly no need to actually wear the woolens here.)

No comments: